
This week I met the woman who delivered me into the world. I think that is about the coolest thing ever. Here I am in Denver, CO, preparing to give birth with midwives here at a free-standing birth center (only one in Denver!) and I happen to meet the woman who helped my Mom (and Dad) bring me into the world. She is a mother of a friend in the Lutheran world... and in Colorado that is a very small world. We were at a film screening (Lord Save Us from you Followers- very interesting, I recommend it), as was this friend, and his parents were in town so he brought them along. As I made my way to the purchase table, I ran into them and was introduced, quickly discovering that she was a midwife, with my protruding belly! I then discovered they were from La Crosse, WI to which I always respond, "I was born there!" And the pieces just fell into place: Gunderson Lutheran Hospital- midwives- 1979... I called my Mom the next day and yep, she was it! My only regret is that I didn't think to take a photo of our chance meeting. But I did offer to buy her lunch next time she's in town, so we'll see if that ever works out. It would be great fun to just have a little sit-down chat with the woman who delivered me, and probably have a birth story of our own to tell by then!
No comments:
Post a Comment